Coverage for Your College Students

August 17, 2011 at 9:31 AM | Posted in Auto, Home, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Renters | 1 Comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Sending your children off to college is an exciting time. Whether they are attending school across the country or staying local, there is much to do to prepare. Here are some common questions our customers have when their children are getting ready to go off to college.

  • My child is bringing a vehicle to school with them. Do I need to do anything?
    Yes, notify your agent to change the garaging of the vehicle to the town they will be living in while at school to ensure coverage in the event of a loss. Don’t forget to call them to change the garaging back when the child is out of school or home for long periods of time.
  • My child is not bringing a vehicle to school with them. Can I take them off my policy while they are away?
    We advise you not to delete or exclude your child from your policy as an operator because some of your liability coverage will follow them if they operate anyone else’s vehicle. You can’t know the coverage choices the owner of another vehicle has made but you can be sure your child has the liability coverage you chose. If they are going to school more than 100 miles away there is a discount you can add to your policy to offset some of the cost. If they are a good student (B or better average) they may also be eligible for a good student discount. Also, if you have an umbrella policy, it will require that all household members be listed on your auto policy.
  • Will the personal belongings my child brings to the dorm be covered?
    If you have a home, condo, or tenants policy on your primary residence, there is a 10% limit of your contents coverage for property away from premises, including your child’s dorm room. The contents are covered for the same causes of loss as your contents at home (fire, theft, vandalism, etc.) and your deductible applies. However, you may want to schedule limited items like computers/electronics on your primary home policy. By scheduling these items, they will be covered for more causes of loss such as dropping and spilled liquids. Call your agent to discuss other limitations on contents that may affect your child’s coverage.

You’ll have enough to do preparing for this change. Call us at 888-850-9400 and we’ll help eliminate the worry of whether or not you have the proper protection in place.


1 Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Great information and very timely!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: