Seasonal Vehicle Coverage

April 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM | Posted in Auto, Camper, Insurance Policy, Motor Home, Motorcycle, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Specialty Policy, Travel Trailer | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

It is that time of year again. The motorcycles, campers, and collector cars and other recreational vehicles are starting to make an appearance now that the weather is better. Here are some insurance reminders before you take them out:

  • Motorcycles: If you decreased your coverage when you put your motorcycle away last winter, don’t forget to increase coverage before taking a ride. When deciding what coverage to put on your motorcycle, Medical Payments is very important to you and anyone that is on your bike at the time of an accident.
  • Campers: They can be covered under your auto policy, but you will get much better coverage at a comparable price if you insure your camper on a travel trailer policy. It includes things like towing and roadside assistance, accessory coverage for awnings, etc… and campsite liability if stationary.
  • Collector Cars: If you have a classic or collector car that is at least 15 years old, you will want to make sure you have collector car insurance coverage. The coverage is designed for the special needs of the car collector. It covers everything your regular auto policy will cover in the event of a loss but the method of determining the value is an agreed value rather than an actual cash value — there is no reduction taken for depreciation. Since a collector or classic car is only driven for a short period of time each year, the premium is usually much lower than a regular auto policy.
  • Off Road Vehicles: Whether you drive an ATV or a golf cart, you could potentially injure someone or cause property damage. You need coverage that will respond to any situation. Some of the extras on a recreational vehicle policy include: Equipment coverage, helmet and safety apparel, and trailer coverage.
  • Watercraft: Boats of all sizes and jet skis need the proper coverage as well. Physical damage to the vessel, liability to other boaters, medical payments, and trailer coverage are just some of the coverages available under a watercraft policy.

No matter what your passion is, make sure you and your family are protected with the right coverage before you experience a loss.


Important Tips for Keeping Your Basement Dry This Spring

March 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM | Posted in Home, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Seasonal | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

March 20th is officially the first day of spring, bringing warmer temperatures, melting snow, and spring showers. All that melting now and rain has to go somewhere, and there are steps you can take to make sure it is not in your basement.

  • Check your sump pump to make sure it is working properly and the hoses do not have leaks in them
  • Make sure your battery backup or generator is ready to support your sump pump in the event of a power outage.
  • Clear any snow mounds away from your foundations especially around your basement windows or entrance.
  • Make sure your gutters are clear and downspouts are pointed away from your home.

Remember, seepage of groundwater is excluded under the homeowner policy. If you have a sump pump, we suggest that you add the sump pump overflow endorsement, which would give you limited coverage should your sump pump suddenly malfunction and cause the basement to flood. Most companies now require that you have battery or generator backup for the sump pump in order for the coverage to apply.
If you have any questions about your homeowner coverage call Protector Group Insurance at 888-850-9400.

Special Valentine Gifts May Need Special Coverage

February 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM | Posted in Home, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Specialty Policy | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Was your Valentine good to you? If you received a gift of jewelry or maybe a marriage proposal, make sure you have adequate insurance in place.

  • Jewelry. Since there is limited coverage for jewelry on a standard home, condo, or tenant policy, you should schedule the item on your policy. Not only will you be insuring it for its full value, you will have coverage for mysterious disappearance and will eliminate any deductibles for a loss.
  • Weddings. No matter how carefully you plan a wedding, there are many things that are out of your control. Wedding insurance will help keep that special day a happy one, and protect against the possibility of unforeseen snags. For as little as $160 you can be covered for things such as no dress, lost deposits, severe weather, or ruined photos.

Call us at 888-850-9400 and we will help you get the coverage you need.

What You Should Know When Shopping for a New Vehicle

February 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM | Posted in Auto, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , ,

If you plan on shopping for a vehicle this President’s Day weekend, here are some things you should know:

  • Loan/Lease Gap Coverage pays the total due on a vehicle loan or lease in the event of a total loss even if the actual cash value is less than the loan balance. This coverage can usually be added to your auto policy for less than $25 a year. If you purchase this coverage through a dealer, they may charge you hundreds of dollars.
  • If you are transferring your plate from your old vehicle to your newly purchased vehicle, make sure you sign the title of the new vehicle before you attach your plates to it. If the title is not available for you to sign, you should not attach your plates to the new vehicle.
  • You have 7 days from the date you sign the title to get the new vehicle registered. Once it is registered, you have 7 days to get a state inspection and updated sticker.
  • Please be sure you contact us to make us aware of your new purchase. For your protection, we will not process paperwork until you confirm the actual purchase or lease. At that time we will discuss the desired coverage for your new vehicle and update the drivers on the policy, if necessary.

If you have any questions regarding the car buying process or coverage available to you, call Protector Group at 888-850-9400 – we are here to help

Identity Theft Coverage

January 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM | Posted in Identity Theft, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , ,

Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the country, costing millions in fraudulent transactions annually. Criminals can easily assume your name and steal your personal financial information to illegally obtain money, credit cards, loans, or property and then leave you to clean up the mess. Having your identity stolen can be an expensive and stressful situation. Identity theft coverage is offered by most insurance companies as optional coverage. Here is some of the protection you would receive by adding this endorsement to your home, condo, or tenant policy:

  • Lost earnings due to court appearances, meetings with lawyers and creditors.
  • Reasonable and customary legal fees for common legal issues resulting from identity theft.
  • Preparing and notarizing documents, records, and affidavits for credit bureaus, financial institutions, and similar credit grantors and law enforcement agencies.
  • Reapplication expenses for credit or loans or as a result of rejection due to incorrect credit records.
  • Certified or overnight mailing expenses for mail to credit bureaus, financial institutions, and law enforcement agencies.

Adding identity theft coverage to your home policy won’t stop someone from stealing your identity, but it will make it much easier and less expensive to get your affairs back on track if it does happen to you.

Call us at 888-850-9400 if you are interested in learning more about adding this coverage to your policy.

Take Inventory of Your Valuables

January 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM | Posted in Home, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Personal Property | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

It is a fresh start to a New Year!

One resolution everyone should make, and keep, is to take an inventory of the items in your home after the hustle and bustle of the holidays. If you already have one, make sure you update it with any new items you may have purchased or received.

You can sign up for free inventory software from the Insurance Information Institute at

Don’t forget to advise us of any new items you may want to schedule on your homeowners, condo, or renters policy such as jewelry, golf clubs, musical instruments, etc…

Addressing Coverage Gaps When Your Primary Vehicle is a Company Car

November 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM | Posted in Auto, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Specialty Policy | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , ,

Do you have a company car that you use on a daily basis? If you don’t have a personal auto policy in your own name, you may not have the appropriate coverage to protect yourself personally.

Here are some ways to ensure your personal exposure is covered:

  • If you do not have a personal auto policy of your own and there are no other household policies, you may want to consider a Named Non-Owner policy. This policy covers you as the named insured and would provide liability coverage for any auto you personally rent or borrow. It looks just like a traditional personal auto policy except there is no specific auto listed.
  • If you have a spouse that has an auto in their name but you are not a co-owner of the auto your spouse can add the Use of Other Autos endorsement. This endorsement provides coverage if you were to use someone else’s auto outside the household. As long as you are correctly listed as an operator for household autos, you would have coverage for those vehicles.
  • A commercial auto policy may provide some personal coverage. Check with your Employer or Commercial Agent to see what coverage is available to you.

If you have any questions feel free to call us at 1-888-850-9400.

Earthquake Preparedness

October 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM | Posted in Home, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Safety Tips, Specialty Policy | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , ,

Earthquakes are not uncommon in the Northeast. In fact, 40 to 50 earthquakes are detected each year in this region. Unlike other areas of the country where earthquakes occur along known fault lines, Northeast earthquakes do not necessarily happen along the faults that exist. Even though it is not certain what causes earthquakes in the Northeast, we can be sure that earthquakes will continue to occur here. Unfortunately, most of the structures built are not designed to withstand the impacts of an earthquake and could sustain thousands of dollars in structural damage.

Earthquakes, or any kind of land movement, are always excluded under a property policy. This exclusion applies to both your structure and your contents. A moderate earthquake could cause your foundation to crack or personal items to be broken, and without an Earthquake Endorsement added to your policy you would not be covered for the loss.

Earthquake coverage can vary slightly by company, and most endorsements have a minimum deductible of 5% of the dwelling coverage. The rate is determined by how your home is built (i.e. brick, frame, etc.).

Be prepared before the next earthquake. Call Protector Group Insurance at 888-850-9400 with any questions and to add this coverage to your policy.

Tenant Insurance – Protect Your Personal Property

September 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM | Posted in Home, Identity Theft, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Renters, Specialty Policy | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

When you rent, as a tenant your personal possessions are your most valuable assets. Without Tenant’s Insurance your valuables are not covered for repairs or replacement in the event of a loss such as fire or theft. Most people don’t realize that a landlord’s insurance policy does not provide coverage for a tenant’s personal property.

For a minimal premium, a basic Tenant Insurance policy provides the following coverage:

  • Furniture, clothing, appliances, and many other personal items are covered on an actual cash value basis (at the depreciated value).
  • Personal property is covered while you are traveling.
  • Additional living expenses are covered when you have to temporarily relocate during repairs.
  • Necessary improvements to the rental unit may be covered.
  • Personal Liability Coverage provides protection for you and your family against bodily injury or property damage claims brought against you. The company will defend you against all liability suits, even when they are false or groundless.
  • Medical Payments to Others pays non-household members that are unintentionally injured by you, a family member, or a pet on your property.

For an additional premium, there is optional coverage you can add to your Tenant Insurance policy. These include, but are not limited to, the following endorsements:

  • Contents Replacement Cost – allows you to repair or replace most items with no reduction for depreciation.
  • Scheduled Items – provides broader coverage for special property such as jewelry, furs, silverware, fine arts, cameras, guns, and musical instruments, etc.
  • Identity Theft Coverage.
  • Earthquake Coverage.

After a loss, the task of starting over can be devastating. Remember to document your valuables, keeping receipts, photos, or videos in a safe and secure location. By purchasing Tenant Insurance, you can be sure that you are protected – before it’s too late.

Common Winter Claim Coverage Gaps

September 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM | Posted in Auto, Home, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Reminders, Rental Vehicles, Seasonal, Specialty Policy | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The crisp autumn days and cool nights are a reminder that winter months are closing in fast, promising to deliver wind, snow, and ice storms. This is the perfect time to review your policies, to make sure you have the coverage you need before the first winter storm.  Special Coverage for Personal Property: Warmer sunny days and freezing cold nights cause ice dams.  Your Homeowner policy will cover the damage an ice dam causes to your home, but the contents inside your home will not be covered for any resulting water damage.  In order to cover your contents you want to make sure you carry the Special Coverage Personal Property Endorsement.   Debris Removal: Storms are nature’s way of trimming the trees, leaving debris in your yard after strong winds, and snow or ice storms.  Your Homeowner policy will respond to tree limbs and branches that damage a structure, but it does not cover the debris left in your yard after a storm.  That is considered property maintenance.  In order to get coverage for this type of loss you need to have the Debris Removal Endorsement, which is offered by most companies.  This provides a certain dollar amount to help you with the cost to clean up large amounts of debris left behind after a major storm.  Refrigerated Food Coverage: We have learned to expect power outages after a storm.  Power outages that last for several days will cause food in refrigerators and freezers to go bad.  Homeowner policies exclude this coverage, but most will offer the Refrigerated Food Coverage Endorsement. When available, a deductible would apply.  Autos: Slippery roads are a leading cause of auto accidents during the winter.  If you want coverage for your vehicle – even if you are at fault in an accident – you want to make sure you have collision coverage on your auto policy.  You also want to check your property damage to others limit as well to make sure that is adequate.  In order to get coverage for tree limbs that fall and damage your vehicle, you will want to add comprehensive coverage.  This is also a great time to make sure you have rental car coverage when you need to rent a vehicle while your car is tied up in repairs due to a covered loss.  Call The Protector Group and make sure you have the proper coverage you need to be prepared for whatever New England weather comes our way.

Next Page »

Blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: