Do you have Renters Insurance?

January 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM | Posted in Home, Insurance Policy, Personal Property, Renters | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

In our last blog post, we suggested ways to prevent frozen pipes and what to do if a pipe freezes.  If you own your home, most likely you have homeowners insurance to cover any damage due to a burst pipe, but what if you rent? Your landlord’s insurance policy will NOT cover your personal belongings.

The following are some coverages that are included in a renters policy that are not covered by your landlord’s insurance:

  • Coverage for your personal belongings, including emergency expense money to replace clothing, keys, and documentation such as licenses immediately after a covered loss.
  • Liability coverage for defense costs for any bodily injury suits brought against you or a household member.
  • Medical payments coverage for medical costs for any injury occurring on your rented premises.
  • Loss of use coverage in case you can’t live in the space you rent due to a large loss such as major water damage, fire etc.

Typically, as temperatures drop even lower in the months of January and February, we see a lot of weather related losses. Frozen pipes and ice dams are the most frequent and can cause thousands of dollars in damage. If you don’t have a renters policy in place, now would be the time to get one.  They cost so little and cover so much.

For more information contact Protector Group at 1-888-850-9400.


Take Inventory of Your Valuables

January 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM | Posted in Home, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Personal Property | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

It is a fresh start to a New Year!

One resolution everyone should make, and keep, is to take an inventory of the items in your home after the hustle and bustle of the holidays. If you already have one, make sure you update it with any new items you may have purchased or received.

You can sign up for free inventory software from the Insurance Information Institute at

Don’t forget to advise us of any new items you may want to schedule on your homeowners, condo, or renters policy such as jewelry, golf clubs, musical instruments, etc…

Tenant Insurance – Protect Your Personal Property

September 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM | Posted in Home, Identity Theft, Insurance Policy, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Renters, Specialty Policy | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

When you rent, as a tenant your personal possessions are your most valuable assets. Without Tenant’s Insurance your valuables are not covered for repairs or replacement in the event of a loss such as fire or theft. Most people don’t realize that a landlord’s insurance policy does not provide coverage for a tenant’s personal property.

For a minimal premium, a basic Tenant Insurance policy provides the following coverage:

  • Furniture, clothing, appliances, and many other personal items are covered on an actual cash value basis (at the depreciated value).
  • Personal property is covered while you are traveling.
  • Additional living expenses are covered when you have to temporarily relocate during repairs.
  • Necessary improvements to the rental unit may be covered.
  • Personal Liability Coverage provides protection for you and your family against bodily injury or property damage claims brought against you. The company will defend you against all liability suits, even when they are false or groundless.
  • Medical Payments to Others pays non-household members that are unintentionally injured by you, a family member, or a pet on your property.

For an additional premium, there is optional coverage you can add to your Tenant Insurance policy. These include, but are not limited to, the following endorsements:

  • Contents Replacement Cost – allows you to repair or replace most items with no reduction for depreciation.
  • Scheduled Items – provides broader coverage for special property such as jewelry, furs, silverware, fine arts, cameras, guns, and musical instruments, etc.
  • Identity Theft Coverage.
  • Earthquake Coverage.

After a loss, the task of starting over can be devastating. Remember to document your valuables, keeping receipts, photos, or videos in a safe and secure location. By purchasing Tenant Insurance, you can be sure that you are protected – before it’s too late.

Coverage for Your College Students

August 17, 2011 at 9:31 AM | Posted in Auto, Home, Personal Insurance, Personal Property, Renters | 1 Comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Sending your children off to college is an exciting time. Whether they are attending school across the country or staying local, there is much to do to prepare. Here are some common questions our customers have when their children are getting ready to go off to college.

  • My child is bringing a vehicle to school with them. Do I need to do anything?
    Yes, notify your agent to change the garaging of the vehicle to the town they will be living in while at school to ensure coverage in the event of a loss. Don’t forget to call them to change the garaging back when the child is out of school or home for long periods of time.
  • My child is not bringing a vehicle to school with them. Can I take them off my policy while they are away?
    We advise you not to delete or exclude your child from your policy as an operator because some of your liability coverage will follow them if they operate anyone else’s vehicle. You can’t know the coverage choices the owner of another vehicle has made but you can be sure your child has the liability coverage you chose. If they are going to school more than 100 miles away there is a discount you can add to your policy to offset some of the cost. If they are a good student (B or better average) they may also be eligible for a good student discount. Also, if you have an umbrella policy, it will require that all household members be listed on your auto policy.
  • Will the personal belongings my child brings to the dorm be covered?
    If you have a home, condo, or tenants policy on your primary residence, there is a 10% limit of your contents coverage for property away from premises, including your child’s dorm room. The contents are covered for the same causes of loss as your contents at home (fire, theft, vandalism, etc.) and your deductible applies. However, you may want to schedule limited items like computers/electronics on your primary home policy. By scheduling these items, they will be covered for more causes of loss such as dropping and spilled liquids. Call your agent to discuss other limitations on contents that may affect your child’s coverage.

You’ll have enough to do preparing for this change. Call us at 888-850-9400 and we’ll help eliminate the worry of whether or not you have the proper protection in place.

Is Your Yard A Tempting Oasis?

May 25, 2011 at 9:57 AM | Posted in Home, Renters | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , ,

We are all trying to create the perfect get-a-way right in our own backyards. The financial adjustments we make today include less travel and more “stay-cations,” and our home and yard improvements illustrate that well. Whether you rent or own, if you have made certain enhancements to your home and yard, you’ll want to consider the following:

  • Pets, trampolines, pools, and ponds could invite trouble without you even knowing it, especially if you have unexpected visitors in your yard while you are at work or on vacation. Should someone come into your yard and get injured, your policy will respond even if they were trespassing.
  • Pools – Insurance companies require locking access to entrances, ladders, and fences. Most insurance companies will not allow a diving board or slide, as back yard pools usually are not deep enough to prevent bodily injury. Even a kiddie pool could be a risk – make sure it is drained when not in use. Since pools are exposed to the elements, especially weight of ice and snow, they are excluded from physical damage coverage except if an object falls on it.
  • Pets – Whether you have bunnies, dogs, or chickens, kids (young and old) are attracted to animals. Make sure your animals are secure and not left unattended.
  • Trampolines – There are very few companies that will cover a home with a trampoline. If there is coverage provided you will be required to have safety netting around it.
  • Tree houses – They are a lot of fun! Take extra care to be sure no one can get into your tree house while you are not there.

We encourage you to evaluate all potential exposures you may have in and around your yard, and ask that you call us at 888-850-9400 to make certain you are properly covered.

Policy Note: Make sure you have at least $500,000 liability on your homeowner, condo, or tenant policy. For even better coverage, consider purchasing an inexpensive excess liability policy which will cover you for worldwide liability exposure in increments of $1,000,000.

Why You Need Tenant Insurance if You Rent

April 14, 2011 at 9:30 AM | Posted in Renters | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , ,

As a renter, your personal possessions are your most valuable asset, and need to be protected in the event of a fire, theft, or almost anything else that might happen. Unfortunately, your landlord’s insurance policy does not provide coverage for your personal property or your personal liability.

Basic tenant insurance provides the following coverages:

  • Furniture, clothing, appliances, and many other personal belongings.
  • Covered items while traveling.
  • Additional living expenses if you have to temporarily relocate due to a loss.
  • Some improvements made to the rental unit.
  • Liability – if someone gets injured on your rented premises there is coverage if you are held liable. This includes coverage for legal expenses. 

Here’s two more great pluses: These policies are inexpensive, usually less than $20 a month, and having a tenants policy qualifies you for a discount on your auto insurance!

Don’t wait until you have a claim and get caught with no coverage. Call us to secure a policy today.

Create a free website or blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: